Wednesday, November 16, 2011

By the book

The index has weakened from a firmer start to be down 29 as we enter the last 10 minutes of normal trading. The possibility of a downtrend developing is becoming stronger as Monday's high looks increasingly like the 3rd lower high below resistance in recent weeks.

chart

I'm out of my short position in IPL, prematurely, because I noticed that it goes ex dividend tomorrow and I didn't want to be short the dividend. Bought back at 331 versus an entry of 347. I'm also out of the last of my long position in IAU on a trailing stop.

chart

I'm looking at one potential long into the close of trade and a couple of shorts. The long is in BLD with exposure to the building cycle in Australia – rates coming down – and the US where the economy is surprising to the upside, albeit in a modest way.

I'm late into Boral but it has confirmed a buy signal with trades at 370 to provide another entry signal and is closing reasonably well in a soft market so I'll buy on close provided the level is roughly where it's at now.

chart

FMG is one of the potential shorts. It was a possible long yesterday but I ruled it out for being in a pennant which could break either way but was more likely to break to the downside given the weakness of the recovery so far. I thought I'd made a mistake early when it pushed above 500 but that strength faded quickly.

chart 

AWC and OST are also on the shorting radar.

4.14 The index closed down 38 points. I dealt in all the stocks I just mentioned. OST was sold into the match and fell below the 100 level, which had provided support for the last 3 sessions, to close at 99.5. My stop is at 105.

chart

No comments:

Post a Comment